Neurosurgeon testifies about Natasha McShane injuries
October 18, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- We're learning more about the injuries a young exchange student suffered during a 2010 bat attack during a robbery in Chicago's Bucktown neighborhood.
Jurors got their first look at the alleged weapon that's left Natasha McShane unable to walk or speak. Jurors heard from the neurosurgeon who treated McShane's injuries and the action he had to take to save her. McShane and her friend Stacy Jurich were beaten and robbed in 2010.
Heriberto Viramontes is in trial for the attack that occurred in the Bucktown neighborhood. McShane's injuries left her unable to talk or walk on her own.
Doctor Leonard Kranzler testified that McShane suffered a traumatic brain injury from a blunt force that required part of her skull be removed to relieve pressure from brain swelling.
A prosecutor asked: "Would a bat be a mechanism for that blunt force?"
Doctor Kranzler responded: "That would be consistent with the injuries we identified."
Jurich testified earlier the week about the attack and seeing a silver bat hitting her friend. A Chicago police commander testified about the cell phone records that ultimately led investigators to Viramontes and identified photos of evidence recovered, including a bat that had silver duct tape wrapped around half of the bat.
The bat was found in Marcy Cruz' van. Cruz is also charged in the attacks but agreed to a lesser sentence for testifying against Viramontes.
Under cross examination by a defense attorney, the commander acknowledged there were many items in Cruz' van and that the van had been moved before being processed for evidence.
Defense attorneys contend Viramontes was not involved in the attack and the expected testimony from Cruz is not to be trusted.
chicago news, leah hope
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting 34 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm 8 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to...
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side...
34 min ago