Woman, 64, attacked by 3 pit bulls on Southeast Side
October 18, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Sixty-four-year-old Marilyn Grimes is still listed in critical condition at Cook County Hospital. Meanwhile her family says she's being kept sedated, but appears to be making progress.
"I'm grateful to God that she's well. That she's recovering. She's a fighter," said David Carter, Grimes' cousin.
Grimes is recovering from yet another surgery as doctors hope to save her leg after she was viciously attacked by three pit bulls while walking her dog Friday night.
Police say Grimes was walking down this alley on the 8700 block of South Creiger when the pit bulls somehow got out of their back yard and attacked her Chihuahua. Grimes tried to save her dog and that's when the pit bulls turned on her.
"Dogs like that should really be kept chained up. It's heartbreaking because she shouldn't have had to go through that," said Mildred Carter.
Her family says grimes is a local singer and actress with a soft spot for animals, especially dogs.
"She's a singer and a musician. And she's a genuinely real person. Very sweet. Loveable," David Carter said.
Speaking to ABC7 earlier, the dogs' owner says she doesn't know how the dogs got past her gate and says she's devastated by what's happened.
"I just want to tell Ms. Grimes, 'I'm here for you.' I'm sincerely sorry. From the bottom of my heart, I'm not a bad person. I know things happen. I just hate that this had to happen to her," Katesha Curtiss said.
In fact, Curtiss says, upon realizing what was happening, she tried to get the dogs off of Grimes.
"He started biting me as well," Curtiss said. "I got bit on my lower calf and my hip. It was really traumatic."
As for the dogs' future, the owner said that animal control has not told her what is going to happen to them, but she says she does not want them back.
chicago news, michelle gallardo
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Officials probe potential threat on Delta flight
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Woman rescued from Lake Michigan near Jackson
- Chicago woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Pilsen parishes join together for Good Friday procession
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake