Police officer stabbed in face; suspect killed by Chicago police
October 23, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Chicago police sergeant is hospitalized in stable condition after being stabbed in the face in the Roseland neighborhood. The alleged offender was shot and killed by other officers.
At approximately 10:30 p.m. Tuesday, Chicago police say they responded to a domestic disturbance in the 200-block of East 107th Street. They say they went to the home after a 911 call was disconnected. A woman had called the emergency number to report her son was armed with a knife.
When they arrived, officers said they heard screams and went inside. They found the man with a large butcher knife, police said. The alleged offender refused to drop the knife, and stabbed the 46-year-old officer in the face. The offender then ran for the basement, and refused to come out, police said.
Another officer fatally shot the suspect.
"I kept trying to call and tell him to come up, come out. Our police don't play. They're here to help us, not hurt us and only thing he had to do was open the door and hold his hands up and come out. But he didn't answer the house phone. He didn't answer any of the phones. It was a tragic, terrible loss," Diane Mallett, neighbor, said.
"If you got two knives, you going to the police anything is bound to happen. I got family that's law enforcement and I believe they going to do what they are going to do if they gotta do it," ReRe Forster, resident, said.
The police officer is at Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn. His injuries are not considered life-threatening.
The suspect's mother was also injured. She was stabbed in the leg, and is expected to be OK. She was taken to another hospital.
Police say they recovered two knives at the scene.
A police review board is investigating.
chicago shooting, chicago police department, chicago violence, chicago news, jason knowles
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Officials probe potential threat on Delta flight 22 min ago
- Freed inmate: New investigation 'like a nightmare'
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Woman sues Four Seasons, claims injuries from massage
- Pilsen parishes join together for Good Friday procession
- Photos: 13-pound baby boy born in Philly suburb
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake