Vigils held in Chicago, Ypsilanti for slain EMU player Demarius Reed
October 24, 2013 ( YPSILANTI, Mich.) (WLS) -- Vigils for 20-year-old Demarius Reed were held Thursday in Chicago and at Eastern Michigan University where he was going to school.
The communications major was killed during an apparent robbery last Friday. The reward for information in the case has now doubled to $10,000.
While police search for the killer, loved ones mourn reed and his fellow students fear for their own safety.
Before going to Eastern Michigan, Demarius Reed was a standout football player at Simeon Career Academy. On Thursday, players and students shared memories of him. Among those on the sidelines were Reed's father and younger brother.
"It does bring some comfort, all the support, gratitude," said Carl Reed, father.
As they released balloons in Reed's memory, loved ones struggle to understand why he's been taken from them.
"I gotta bury my best friend, you rarely hear that and we ain't even old yet, we're still young and I've got to bury my best friend, it's crazy," said Darius Scott, friend.
The loss is also being felt on the campus of Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti. Reed's death is one of several violent incidents involving students. On Thursday evening the school held a series of events called 'Increase the Peace.'
"I just wanted to be here for you all so I could receive the support you've given," said Tanesha Virgin, Reed's mother.
Reed was found shot multiple times last Friday. Those who knew him say he was a good student and someone who didn't have any enemies.
"He was just full of life, love so glad to have had the opportunity to be his mother and that God blessed me with a child like that," said Virgin.
Visitation for Reed will be Friday at House of Hope, 752 E. 114th St., Chicago. Several of his Eastern Michigan teammates and coaches are expected to attend, and representatives from the university will be at Reed's funeral on Saturday in south suburban Harvey.
chicago news, cheryl burton
- Boy, 13, killed in hit-and-run in Whiting 7 min ago
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Grand jury indicts Lake Station mayor, wife 18 min ago
- Tavern shutdown racially motivated, owner says
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- ComEd seeks rate hike to help pay for Smart Grid
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours
- Chicago casino plans pitched at gaming hearing
- Hero officers save two boys from West Pullman fire
- Chicago bridges lift as sailboats begin journey to harbors
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos