Vigils held in Chicago, Ypsilanti for slain EMU player Demarius Reed
October 24, 2013 ( YPSILANTI, Mich.) (WLS) -- Vigils for 20-year-old Demarius Reed were held Thursday in Chicago and at Eastern Michigan University where he was going to school.
The communications major was killed during an apparent robbery last Friday. The reward for information in the case has now doubled to $10,000.
While police search for the killer, loved ones mourn reed and his fellow students fear for their own safety.
Before going to Eastern Michigan, Demarius Reed was a standout football player at Simeon Career Academy. On Thursday, players and students shared memories of him. Among those on the sidelines were Reed's father and younger brother.
"It does bring some comfort, all the support, gratitude," said Carl Reed, father.
As they released balloons in Reed's memory, loved ones struggle to understand why he's been taken from them.
"I gotta bury my best friend, you rarely hear that and we ain't even old yet, we're still young and I've got to bury my best friend, it's crazy," said Darius Scott, friend.
The loss is also being felt on the campus of Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti. Reed's death is one of several violent incidents involving students. On Thursday evening the school held a series of events called 'Increase the Peace.'
"I just wanted to be here for you all so I could receive the support you've given," said Tanesha Virgin, Reed's mother.
Reed was found shot multiple times last Friday. Those who knew him say he was a good student and someone who didn't have any enemies.
"He was just full of life, love so glad to have had the opportunity to be his mother and that God blessed me with a child like that," said Virgin.
Visitation for Reed will be Friday at House of Hope, 752 E. 114th St., Chicago. Several of his Eastern Michigan teammates and coaches are expected to attend, and representatives from the university will be at Reed's funeral on Saturday in south suburban Harvey.
chicago news, cheryl burton
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos