Lake Shore Drive extension opens to traffic
October 27, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The new stretch of Lake Shore Drive on the South Side opened to traffic Sunday.
The two-mile extension will provide a shortcut to drivers heading to and from the Skyway and Indiana.
Its backers say it will boost economic development.
It cuts through the property where the US Steel South Works once stood.
The state paid about two thirds of the $64 million cost with the rest coming from the federal government and the city of Chicago.
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 59 min ago
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Tinley Park hosts St. Patrick's Day parade
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park
- Orr Academy basketball player among 6 shot at party
- Ford Motor leader William Clay Ford dead
- Illinois halts plan to require ATV permits
- Mexican culture celebrated at Navy Pier
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
59 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos