Man charged after body of Wis. woman found in car trunk near Chicago Greyhound station
October 29, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A 40-year-old man has been charged after his girlfriend's body was found in the trunk of a car near the Greyhound bus station in Chicago's West Loop.
Matthew McDowell, of the 2000-block of 61st Street in Kenosha, has been charged with first-degree murder and hiding a corpse.
The victim is identified as Erin Ziemendorf, 30, of West Allis, Wis., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office. Police say she died from blunt neck trauma during an assault. Her death is classified as a homicide.
A source said the man confessed, and told police where to find Ziemendorf's body.
Chicago police made the discovery around 6:30 p.m. Sunday. The car, a gray, four-door with Wisconsin plates, was parked on the southern perimeter of the Mid-City Public Parking lot on Jefferson, which is just next to the Greyhound bus station.
"There was a whole bunch of police and fire trucks and emergency personnel, and so I took my dog for a walk and kind of checked things out but didn't really know what had happened until looking on the news this morning," Jen Weisensee said Monday.
Officials are reviewing surveillance video from the area. Sources said the car had been there for several days.
"That is really shocking. It keeps us thinking about the security. It is a terrible situation," Brenda Don said.
"I park here all of the time. A couple of ladies from my job park here and I want them to be safe. It seems like it's a place [that's] not supposed to be too bad. The Greyhound station is right here, so I knew there would be problems. I never thought of anything to this extent," Jermaine Kelley said.
- CTA Red Line shooting injures passenger 20 min ago
- Girl sexually assaulted near Safe Passage route
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 14 min ago
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Police search for suspect in Valparaiso armed robberies
- Plane lands at O'Hare after reporting mechanical problem
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd
- Reno hospital shooting on campus kills 2, including gunman
- Dart: Concealed carry approval process flawed
- Salvation Army feeds families, seniors in need in Chicago
- abcnews: Dad, Daughter Recreate Wedding Photos
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
14 min ago