Marcy Cruz gets 22 years in Bucktown bat attack
October 31, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Marcy Cruz was sentenced to 22 years in prison on Thursday. Marcy Cruz struck a plea deal with prosecutors in exchange for her testimony at the trial of Heriberto Viramontes.
The family of Marcy Cruz came to the Leighton Criminal Court Building for a final time. On Thursday, Cruz appeared before Judge Jorge Alonso for formal sentencing. The judge asked if she cared to make a statement, and Cruz said "I'm sorry."
On Thursday, Prosecutors called Cruz's testimony truthful and therefore submitted a plea agreement in which Cruz receives a reduced sentenced of only 22 years in prison. Judge Alonso accepted the plea agreement, and Cruz's family accepts the consequences.
"It's not easy. I'm glad that she did the right thing. She's ready to accept what's coming. I love her. She's my daughter," said Edwin Cruz, Marcy Cruz's father.
Stacy Jurich and Natasha McShane were severely beaten with a baseball bat during the attack and robbery in 2010. McShane, who lives in Northern Ireland, cannot speak or walk on her own.
Neither the McShane family nor Stacy Jurich were in court on Thursday.
Cruz pleaded guilty in July to the attempted first-degree murder charge.Cruz has been in custody for three years and will likely serve only 16 more years, leaving her two young boys to be raised by her parents.
Viramontes is scheduled to be sentenced next month and faces up to 120 years in prison.
chicago news, leah hope
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school 58 min ago
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos