Deer spotted in Gold Coast walking along sidewalk on State
October 31, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Two deer were spotted walking on the sidewalk in the Gold Coast community on the city's Near North Side on Thursday.
The deer were in this neighborhood for at least 7 hours today. People say they were docile and peaceful, although one of them may have had a broken horn and an injured leg.
Residents in the 1200-block of State Parkway say they have not seen deer in their neighborhood before.
"I haven't seen such a thing in my life. You know, just amazing," said Edin Menkovic.
Right in the Gold Coast, a different kind of tourist attraction.
"I've never seen a couple of deer walking down the street. It's pretty odd," said Matt Kuvinski.
After strolling, the deer hunkered down in a gated yard near State and Division.
"Trick or Treat! Thought somebody was playing a joke, but they were real deer," said Rich London, building co-owner.
Animal Control officers arrived and fired a tranquilizer gun. One deer was loaded into the van.
"They've tied up the legs and it's breaking free," said Shaan Ahluwalia.
Eventually, both were taken away by Animal Control.
"I'm glad they'll be safe," said Anna Cornel.
The yard where they were tranquilized and removed was quite a scene earlier -- first with trick or treaters, and then the Animal Control call.
ABC7 Eyewitness News did reach out to the city's Animal Control department on Thursday night, but no one has returned the calls.
chicago news, stacey baca
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Malaysia Airlines reports plane missing 5 min ago
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend 21 min ago
- CFD vehicle involved in South Side crash
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD 27 min ago