Deer spotted in Gold Coast walking along sidewalk on State
October 31, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Two deer were spotted walking on the sidewalk in the Gold Coast community on the city's Near North Side on Thursday.
The deer were in this neighborhood for at least 7 hours today. People say they were docile and peaceful, although one of them may have had a broken horn and an injured leg.
Residents in the 1200-block of State Parkway say they have not seen deer in their neighborhood before.
"I haven't seen such a thing in my life. You know, just amazing," said Edin Menkovic.
Right in the Gold Coast, a different kind of tourist attraction.
"I've never seen a couple of deer walking down the street. It's pretty odd," said Matt Kuvinski.
After strolling, the deer hunkered down in a gated yard near State and Division.
"Trick or Treat! Thought somebody was playing a joke, but they were real deer," said Rich London, building co-owner.
Animal Control officers arrived and fired a tranquilizer gun. One deer was loaded into the van.
"They've tied up the legs and it's breaking free," said Shaan Ahluwalia.
Eventually, both were taken away by Animal Control.
"I'm glad they'll be safe," said Anna Cornel.
The yard where they were tranquilized and removed was quite a scene earlier -- first with trick or treaters, and then the Animal Control call.
ABC7 Eyewitness News did reach out to the city's Animal Control department on Thursday night, but no one has returned the calls.
chicago news, stacey baca
- Girl sexually assaulted near Safe Passage route
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Police search for suspect in Valparaiso armed robberies
- Plane lands at O'Hare after reporting mechanical problem
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd
- Reno hospital shooting on campus kills 2, including gunman
- 2 former players allege abuse during Maine West hazing trial
- Dart: Concealed carry approval process flawed
- Salvation Army feeds families, seniors in need in Chicago
- abcnews: Dad, Daughter Recreate Wedding Photos
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos