Alligator at O'Hare captured after roaming free in Terminal 3
November 3, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police confirm they captured a small, foot-long alligator roaming free under an escalator in American Airlines' Terminal 3 at O'Hare.
Authorities spotted the gator Friday morning and quickly wrangled the reptile, which is now in the care of the Chicago Herpetological Society.
A maintenance worker initially found the alligator. Chicago police spokesman Jose Estrada said Sunday an officer captured the reptile by putting a trash can over it.
The Chicago Herpatoligical Society's president says the animal is in "pretty bad shape" and the society is trying to nurse it back to health.
There was no word how the alligator wound up at the airport or how long it had been there.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington Heights standoff
- Rod Blagojevich appeal, likely last chance, goes before judges
- Man, 31, pulled from Chicago River near lake
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Body of missing Lansing man, 40, found in ditch
- 8 LSD crashes reported within 1 mile in 1 hour 43 min ago
- Winter weather advisories issued as snow follows cold
- Ex-teacher Amber Kraus pleads not guilty to teen sex assault 37 min ago
- Prisoner charged in 1988 Rogers Park rape, murder
- CTA auctioning seats, signs, rail car, more
- Chicago man gets 50 years in ex-wife's death
- Kanye West likens job to police work; Ohio chief disagrees
- Affluenza defense nets Ethan Couch probation
- abcnews: More Teens Sought in Mansion Party
- 7 in :77