Alligator at O'Hare captured after roaming free in Terminal 3
November 3, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police confirm they captured a small, foot-long alligator roaming free under an escalator in American Airlines' Terminal 3 at O'Hare.
Authorities spotted the gator Friday morning and quickly wrangled the reptile, which is now in the care of the Chicago Herpetological Society.
A maintenance worker initially found the alligator. Chicago police spokesman Jose Estrada said Sunday an officer captured the reptile by putting a trash can over it.
The Chicago Herpatoligical Society's president says the animal is in "pretty bad shape" and the society is trying to nurse it back to health.
There was no word how the alligator wound up at the airport or how long it had been there.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 18 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 53 min ago
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island 19 min ago
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
53 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
18 min ago
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
9 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos