Sexual assault has Lakeview residents on edge; Woman pushed into apartment, raped early Sunday morning
November 3, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Chicago police are investigating a sexual assault that happened early Sunday in the 400-block of West Belmont near Lake Shore Drive in the Lakeview area.
Detectives at Area North Police Headquarters have had very little to say about their ongoing investigation as the community remains on alert.
Lakeview residents just learning of the early Sunday morning sexual assault were left on edge.
"It's scary and it has been pretty prevalent lately that there's been some unsafe issues, so it's a scary thing," said Brigid Jennings.
Police say it happened around 4:15 Sunday morning inside an apartment building in the 400 block of Belmont Avenue near Lake Shore Drive.
Investigators say that's when a 24-year-old woman says she was pushed into her unit and raped.
"It's pretty scary to me since we do walk alone a lot. I never felt unsafe in our neighborhood before," Erin Marrone said.
The woman gave a very vague description of her attacker to officers before being taken to an area hospital for treatment.
Meanwhile, some neighborhood residents are taking additional safety precautions, especially those living in buildings without doormen.
I don't let anyone in behind me unless I recognize them," said Catherine Scallen. "Our building's pretty small, so we recognize our neighbors by face."
"Lakeview is a pretty nice community. People generally will look out for one another," Terrance McRae said.
There is no one in custody and no one has been arrested.
chicago news, evelyn holmes
- Chicago police officer shot on South Side 32 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 49 min ago
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Sheriff Dart facing opposition from own party 37 min ago
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Mobile payment option for metered parking
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park
- Orr Academy basketball player among 6 shot at party
- Mexican culture celebrated at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
49 min ago
- Chicago police officer shot on South Side
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos