Sexual assault has Lakeview residents on edge; Woman pushed into apartment, raped early Sunday morning
November 3, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Chicago police are investigating a sexual assault that happened early Sunday in the 400-block of West Belmont near Lake Shore Drive in the Lakeview area.
Detectives at Area North Police Headquarters have had very little to say about their ongoing investigation as the community remains on alert.
Lakeview residents just learning of the early Sunday morning sexual assault were left on edge.
"It's scary and it has been pretty prevalent lately that there's been some unsafe issues, so it's a scary thing," said Brigid Jennings.
Police say it happened around 4:15 Sunday morning inside an apartment building in the 400 block of Belmont Avenue near Lake Shore Drive.
Investigators say that's when a 24-year-old woman says she was pushed into her unit and raped.
"It's pretty scary to me since we do walk alone a lot. I never felt unsafe in our neighborhood before," Erin Marrone said.
The woman gave a very vague description of her attacker to officers before being taken to an area hospital for treatment.
Meanwhile, some neighborhood residents are taking additional safety precautions, especially those living in buildings without doormen.
I don't let anyone in behind me unless I recognize them," said Catherine Scallen. "Our building's pretty small, so we recognize our neighbors by face."
"Lakeview is a pretty nice community. People generally will look out for one another," Terrance McRae said.
There is no one in custody and no one has been arrested.
chicago news, evelyn holmes
- Snow cancels, delays flights at airports
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs 54 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bears fans warned about dangerous game weather
- Austin fire destroys building, leaves 10 homeless
- Rod Blagojevich arrest marks 5th anniversary
- Computer science to become CPS core subject
- Police: Evanston drug deal might have led to armed robbery
- Chicago pastor investigated for child sex abuse
- 1 dead, several injured in Racine pile-up
- 2-year-old girl killed by dog on South Side
- Shirley MacLaine on Kennedy Center Honors: 'It's about time'
- 'Frozen' takes top box office spot with $31.6M
- 7 in :77
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos