Kevin Trudeau criminal trial begins in Chicago
November 5, 2013 ( CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Opening statements finished Tuesday in the criminal trial of television pitchman Kevin Trudeau. He already owes millions of dollars in fines that he claims he cannot pay. Prosecutors say he misled consumers with advertising for a weight loss book.
According to his attorney, Kevin Trudeau is a best-selling author, motivational speaker and a big proponent of a healthy diet, including organic food.
According to the government, he's basically a liar. According to his infomercials, he had a secret formula for weight loss that allowed you to eat whatever you wanted.
Whether that is true or not is not at issue in this trial, however. Trudeau is facing charges of contempt of court for allegedly violating an agreement that he signed with the Federal Trade Commission to settle a case back in 2004. In that case, he promised not to misrepresent the truth in his advertising.
Two years later, however, the government says he made deceptive statements while trying to sell a weight loss book.
"He lied about what was in his book. He did it to sell more books and make more money," said Marc Krickbuam, Asst. U.S. Attorney.
Defense attorneys say Trudeau is indeed allowed to offer his opinions, and all of his opinions are backed up in the book.
Testimony in the trial begins Wednesday morning.
chicago news, john garcia
- Lake Shore Drive closed Wilson to Foster 1 min ago
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing
- Carl Sandburg H.S. on 'soft lockdown'
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours
- Cubs unveil plans for Wrigley's 100th birthday
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC
- Amber Creek murder suspect appears at preliminary hearing
- Resurfacing project begins to fill potholes
- Gurnee man sentenced in sex assaults of 2 kids
- Huntley teen charged, allegedly crashed SUV into home
- Truck driver who allegedly molested 11 kids sentenced
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos