Brian Fernandez, 6, in serious condition after Gage Park shooting
November 7, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Brian Fernandez, 6, is recovering Thursday morning after being shot in the backseat of a car in the Gage Park neighborhood.
Chicago police say the shooting appears to be random and no suspects are in custody.
Fernandez was hit in the chest and family members say the bullet came out of his back. He is now recovering Mt. Sinai Hospital, where family said he is in serious condition.
Fernandez was shot while sitting in the backseat of a car in the Gage Park neighborhood Wednesday night at 56th and Mozart. Police say two men said something to Fernandez's 19-year-old brother, who was driving. The brother said he didn't hear them and drove away, which is when they opened fire.
The car ended up at 57th and Sacramento.
Fernandez's mother spoke through a translator at Mt. Sinai Hospital, while she waited for an update on her son's condition.
"She says she can't imagine what her son is going through. Right now he's a little bit more stable but the bullet did go through, went into the chest and came out the back," the translator said.
Witnesses say the two men ran from the scene in dark clothing and hoodies. No other description has been released.
chicago news, jessica d'onofrio
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag 33 min ago
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault 36 min ago
- Chicago casino plans pitched at gaming hearing 23 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett 23 min ago
- Man who killed Kankakee doctor gets life in prison 37 min ago
- Cubs unveil plans for Wrigley's 100th birthday
- Carl Sandburg H.S. 'soft lockdown' lifted after arrests 13 min ago
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours
- UIC faculty strike averted, tentative deal reached
- Truman College instructor accused of sexually assaulting former...
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- Chicago street repaving begins
14 min ago
- Microbead ban? Group says they impact...
10 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos