Chicago Riverwalk plans move forward, Walsh Construction contracted by Mayor Rahm Emanuel and CDOT
November 8, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago's riverwalk plans were given a green light after Mayor Rahm Emanuel and the Chicago Department of Transportation announced that a contract has been awarded to Walsh Construction to begin building the first three blocks, from State Street to LaSalle Street.
The U.S. Department of Transportation recently awarded the City a $100 million federal loan to complete the river walk through the agency's Transportation Infrastructure Finance Innovation Act (TIFIA) program, according to a statement from the mayor's office.
The Walsh Construction contract will include the first three blocks from State to LaSalle. The statement also noted that construction will include an 25-foot extension from the current configuration into the river, and connections under each bridge.
The mayor's office said construction of the the first three blocks is expected to begin soon and is projected to be complete by end of 2014.
''The Chicago River is our second shoreline, which has played such a critical role in Chicago's early history, the development of our industry, and our quality of life,'' said Mayor Rahm Emanuel. ''With the reinvention of the downtown Riverwalk, we are making the Chicago River into the city's new recreational frontier.''
The $43-million contract awarded to Walsh Construction Company had the lowest bid, the statement said.
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Lawyer: No more appeals for Crundwell 33 min ago
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners 31 min ago
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout