Girl, 18, raped near 63rd Street and Marshfield, CTA stop in West Englewood
November 12, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Authorities were searching for a suspect Tuesday after an 18-year-old girl was sexually assaulted while walking home in the West Englewood neighborhood.
Police say the teen girl told them she was attacked while walking home at approximately 10:30 p.m. Monday in the 6300-block of South Marshfield, near a CTA bus stop at 63rd and Ashland. According to police, the suspect walked up to the victim and dragged her behind a building.
"That's scary because I live over here, and I get the bus late sometimes. So, that's kind of scary," said commuter Gabrielle Griffin.
"I got a little daughter, and I got an older daughter," said Michael Davis, also a commuter. "I got grandkids, granddaughters&it's just a sad situation, you know. it shouldn't happen to nobody."
The bus stop nearby is surrounded by surveillance cameras, police said.
"The cameras are OK, but it's after the fact. It already happened, and it's not a whole lot to do about that. It's about prevention. That's the key, preventing it from happening," commuter Anita James said.
After hearing about the attack, community activist Andrew Holmes began canvassing the area, passing out fliers warning residents.
"We're just circulating some fliers, hoping we can generate some noise. Somebody had seen this individual. Somebody has seen somebody lurking around, and if they did, and he looked suspicious, call the Chicago Police Department," Holmes said.
The victim was taken to a local hospital in good condition. Chicago police have not released any suspect descriptions.
Coincidentally, the rape happened in the same area near the tracks where 12-year-old Jahmeshia Conner's body was found in November 2009. She had been missing for five days. The murder remains unsolved.
- Woman assaulted near Matteson Metra stop
- Chicago doctor among 3 killed in Afghanistan
- Canonization preparations underway in Rome
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Grayslake dry cleaners chemical spill injures 4
- Chicago plastic bag ban OK'd by council committee 39 min ago
- 3 shot in Lawndale near 16th, St. Louis
- NIU hazing death case in court
- NLRB grants review of NU football players union ruling
- City to build Barack Obama College Prep HS
- Mount Baldy to remain closed this summer
- Mayor Emanuel criticized for proposed property tax hike
- Photos: Fermilab debuts first bison baby of 2014
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos