David Amaya Barrack, kidnapped from Chicago, to be reunited with mom after 34 years in Mexico
November 13, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A man abducted from Chicago as a child and taken to Mexico is back in the United States more than three decades later. Thanks to the U.S. Border Patrol, he is expected to be reunited with his mother soon.
David Amaya Barrick was abducted by his father in 1979 and spent the past 34 years in Mexico.
Last week, he was arrested by border patrol agents trying to cross into California, but he was able to convince authorities of his U.S. citizenship.
Barrick says he was beaten and robbed of his identification. Agents checked out his story and were able to track down his mother, who is living in Eau Claire, Wis., now.
The two have talked on the phone. In the meantime, a San Diego church has taken Barrick in and is working to raise the funds to reunite him with his mother.
- 4 children injured in S. Side drive-by shooting 42 min ago
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from inspirational teen 39 min ago
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 24 min ago
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout