David Amaya Barrack, kidnapped from Chicago, to be reunited with mom after 34 years in Mexico
November 13, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A man abducted from Chicago as a child and taken to Mexico is back in the United States more than three decades later. Thanks to the U.S. Border Patrol, he is expected to be reunited with his mother soon.
David Amaya Barrick was abducted by his father in 1979 and spent the past 34 years in Mexico.
Last week, he was arrested by border patrol agents trying to cross into California, but he was able to convince authorities of his U.S. citizenship.
Barrick says he was beaten and robbed of his identification. Agents checked out his story and were able to track down his mother, who is living in Eau Claire, Wis., now.
The two have talked on the phone. In the meantime, a San Diego church has taken Barrick in and is working to raise the funds to reunite him with his mother.
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Snowboard park accident 911 calls released
- Volunteers get word out on insurance sign-up
- Bridge over Western demolished for Bloomingdale Trail
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57
- Broadened Chicago ban on plastic bags gaining steam
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Jennifer Lawrence's Oscars Date Tells All