2nd man charged with fatally shooting UPS worker
November 15, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A 16-year-old boy has been charged with murder and attempted robbery in the fatal shooting a longtime UPS worker in the West Side Garfield Park neighborhood Tuesday, police said.
Derrick Williams, 20, who prosecutors say was the shooter, was charged Friday night.
Michael Sullivan, 53, was on his way to work an overnight shift Tuesday when he was attacked near the CTA Geen Line Station at Pulaski.
Sullivan worked for UPS for 30 years. His daughters were in court on Friday.
''I feel like I had to, I had to be here. To show that the Sullivan side does want to see justice,'' said LaTese Sullivan, the victim's daughter.
''I'm doing this for my Dad. It's hard, but I'm going do this for my Dad,'' said LaToya Griffin, the victim's daughter.
On Friday, court prosecutors said two people, who were out to rob someone that night, focused on Sullivan.
Rayshon Williams, 16, was charged Friday with murder, the teenager was charged as an adult. Prosecutors say Rayshon Williams grabbed Sullivan by the arm and demanded money, but Sullivan pulled away.
Prosecutors also allege that another person, Derrick Williams, who was charged on Friday night, followed Sullivan in a stolen car and had a gun on Tuesday night.
''The uncharged co-offender pointed the gun at the victim, fired the gun, shooting the victim in the face," said Cook County Assistant State's Attorney Sara Ondera.
According to prosecutors, a surveillance camera recorded the shooting in the 4200 block of West Lake Street.
Relatives of Rayshon Williams say the teen wasn't involved in the incident and that Derrick Williams, who was charged Friday night, was responsible. They declined to be interviewed.
Sullivan's daughters are both mothers themselves and are troubled that a teenager may be involved in their father's murder.
''It's sad, they should be at home doing some homework, doing something else with themselves at 16-years-old,'' said LaTese Sullivan.
Sullivan's daughters say that nothing was stolen from their father but the robbers, instead, left their family a lifetime of pain.
- 2 hurt in North Side crash
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Near-death experience inspires businessman 7 min ago
- 6 shot at party in Austin
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- PM won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Interpol: Database not checked pre-Malaysia flight 19 min ago
- No consensus on notifying victims of data breaches 35 min ago
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
- Near-death experience inspires businessman
7 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos