Baby found in car seat pronounced dead
December 11, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police are investigating the death of a baby found home alone with two other children on Chicago's West Side.
It's not clear if the cold weather was a factor. The baby was bundled up in a snow suit. The children were discovered in an apartment in the 3700-block of West 13th Street.
Police were interviewing the mother of the children on Wednesday night.
Police and fire officials swarmed the apartment in the 3700-block of West 13th street Wednesday afternoon after a neighbor called 911 to report neglected kids in their shared building.
Police could be seen removing an infant car seat from the apartment from which the neighbor said a 6-year-old girl had emerged, looking for food. The neighbor went to the unit and found a 7-month-old baby and a 2-year-old girl -- and no parents or caregivers.
The children were taken to Mt. Sinai Hospital, where the infant was pronounced dead. Fire officials originally said the baby had frozen to death, but later reported she was found in a car seat, with an apparently 100 degree temperature, wrapped in winter clothes and blankets. The other children remain at the hospital.
On Wednesday night, several of the building's occupants and passersby declined to comment on the situation. Managers of the property dropped by, but left without getting into the apartment.
The medical examiner has not yet released the identity of the dead infant.
chicago news, diane pathieu
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop 56 min ago
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw 57 min ago
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- Armed robberies prompt alert in South Shore
- CPS student's murder remains unsolved 5 years later
- Ohio Turnpike crash kills 3; Victims ID'd
- Quinn makes 1st public event since controversial audit
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Cracked Dam Leads to Human Remains 32 min ago
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West...
56 min ago
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
57 min ago
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for...
27 min ago