CPS to convert Logan Square school into military academy
December 18, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Parents from Ames Middle School in Chicago's Logan's Square neighborhood are protesting over a CPS plan to convert a local middle school into a military academy.
Many of these parents attended Wednesday's Chicago Public School board meeting and a press conference in advance of the board meeting.
At issue is a proposal to relocate Marine Leadership Academy to the building where Ames Middle School is housed currently.
CPS says Ames students could stay on at the Academy, but some parents say they do not want the military style school.
Alderman Maldonado also addressed the board saying Ames is underutilized and more people in the area would like a military academy option.
A CPS spokesman issued a statement saying in part:
"By bringing the proven Service Leadership Academic model to Ames, the school will be strengthened academically, offering another strong choice to parents and students while also helping meet the increased demand for a military education."
The school board hearing first hears public comment and then go into executive session to discuss issues and then come back to vote.
The board voted on two specific items regarding. The first item was to change the program from a middle school to a leadership academy. The second was to make the school an open enrollment school, open to any CPS student.
The name of the new school has not yet been determined but is scheduled to open in Fall 2014.
chicago news, leah hope
- Firefighters, cop among 8 injured in South Side fire
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Mother questions why Harvey police shot son
- Man shot in Palos Heights home invasion 14 min ago
- Local runners preparing for Boston Marathon
- Suspect sought in Boystown alley sex assault
- Loop bank robbery suspect arrested
- Drunk driver charged with driving 118 mph on I-55
- Police fatally shoot 'vicious' dog on South Side
- Teen smoking sees dramatic drop in Chicago
- Shedd announces female penguin chick's name
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand