Donovan Turnage, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV on South Side
December 21, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A manhunt is underway for a carjacking suspect after an 11-year-old boy was killed in a crash that police say began with a stolen vehicle on Chicago's South Side.
About 12:30 p.m., officers on patrol saw an armed carjacking in the 5000-block of South Princeton Avenue, police said. Officers drove after the stolen car, a Dodge Caravan, until it crashed into a Chevrolet Suburban near the intersection of 55th and Halsted.
A family friend identified the 11-year-old victim as Donovan Turnage. Witnesses say the child was thrown from the Suburban and landed in the street. He was taken to Comer Children's Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
A family friend says Donovan, his brother and father were on their way to get haircuts before the holidays. He attended Morrill Math and Science Academy.
After the collision, the suspect managed to elude police who were following him by running across the street and carjacking another vehicle, a Toyota Land Cruiser.
Police say he drove that all the way to the western suburbs, where it ran out of gas on I-294 near Oakbrook. He abandoned it and flagged down another driver and carjacked a third vehicle.
Chicago police are looking at video of the suspect and the first collision from a security camera at the gas station.
"Yeah, they almost got him over here, but he was too fast," said Sam Mohamed, gas station attendant.
An investigation is underway. No one is in custody.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute 24 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 56 min ago
- Julius Peppers contract terminated by Chicago Bears 11 min ago
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death 32 min ago
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines under way 50 min ago
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as alderman 49 min ago
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
56 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute
24 min ago