Donovan Turnage, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV on South Side
December 21, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A manhunt is underway for a carjacking suspect after an 11-year-old boy was killed in a crash that police say began with a stolen vehicle on Chicago's South Side.
About 12:30 p.m., officers on patrol saw an armed carjacking in the 5000-block of South Princeton Avenue, police said. Officers drove after the stolen car, a Dodge Caravan, until it crashed into a Chevrolet Suburban near the intersection of 55th and Halsted.
A family friend identified the 11-year-old victim as Donovan Turnage. Witnesses say the child was thrown from the Suburban and landed in the street. He was taken to Comer Children's Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
A family friend says Donovan, his brother and father were on their way to get haircuts before the holidays. He attended Morrill Math and Science Academy.
After the collision, the suspect managed to elude police who were following him by running across the street and carjacking another vehicle, a Toyota Land Cruiser.
Police say he drove that all the way to the western suburbs, where it ran out of gas on I-294 near Oakbrook. He abandoned it and flagged down another driver and carjacked a third vehicle.
Chicago police are looking at video of the suspect and the first collision from a security camera at the gas station.
"Yeah, they almost got him over here, but he was too fast," said Sam Mohamed, gas station attendant.
An investigation is underway. No one is in custody.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Officials probe potential threat on Delta flight 17 min ago
- Freed inmate: New investigation 'like a nightmare'
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Woman sues Four Seasons, claims injuries from massage
- Pilsen parishes join together for Good Friday procession
- Photos: 13-pound baby boy born in Philly suburb
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake