Donovan Turnage, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV on South Side
December 21, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A manhunt is underway for a carjacking suspect after an 11-year-old boy was killed in a crash that police say began with a stolen vehicle on Chicago's South Side.
About 12:30 p.m., officers on patrol saw an armed carjacking in the 5000-block of South Princeton Avenue, police said. Officers drove after the stolen car, a Dodge Caravan, until it crashed into a Chevrolet Suburban near the intersection of 55th and Halsted.
A family friend identified the 11-year-old victim as Donovan Turnage. Witnesses say the child was thrown from the Suburban and landed in the street. He was taken to Comer Children's Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
A family friend says Donovan, his brother and father were on their way to get haircuts before the holidays. He attended Morrill Math and Science Academy.
After the collision, the suspect managed to elude police who were following him by running across the street and carjacking another vehicle, a Toyota Land Cruiser.
Police say he drove that all the way to the western suburbs, where it ran out of gas on I-294 near Oakbrook. He abandoned it and flagged down another driver and carjacked a third vehicle.
Chicago police are looking at video of the suspect and the first collision from a security camera at the gas station.
"Yeah, they almost got him over here, but he was too fast," said Sam Mohamed, gas station attendant.
An investigation is underway. No one is in custody.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway 4 min ago
- Mayor to expand repaving initiative for potholes 20 min ago
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire 58 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Young girl killed by falling bookcase in Northbrook
- Police: Woman sexually assaulted on Northwest Side
- Political consultant hit by falling ice
- Stone lions vandalized at Chicago museum
- Dogs reunited with Avondale couple after break-in
- I-Team: Illinois deficit released
- Sign of Spring: Original Rainbow Cone now open 34 min ago
- Malaysia denies report missing plane kept flying hours after...
- Man arrested after Colorado child kidnapping, 2 carjackings
- abcnews: Amazon Accused of Cheating on Free Shipping
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
4 min ago
- Mayor to expand repaving initiative for...
20 min ago
- SXSW crash in downtown Austin kills 2,...
47 min ago