Chicago Weather: Dusting of snow coats roadways in city, suburbs
December 26, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A dusting of snow coated Chicago Thursday with the heaviest accumulation to the west and northwest.
"No major snow," ABC7 Meteorologist Mike Caplan said. "If you've got an inch or two on the ground, I think you can kiss it goodbye for a while."
A brief thaw is coming on Saturday, when temperatures could get into the upper 30s and low 40s. But it won't last long. By Sunday, cold will move back in and more snow will fall, but be over by the evening.
"All told, we're looking at snowfall for the next several days, through Monday, an inch or so," Caplan said. "No big snow storms are on the way."
The cold settles in Sunday into Monday.
"By Monday morning, single digits. And it won't get much warmer than that all Monday long. We'll be lucky to see double digits," Caplan said.
City hits residential streets
Across much of the area, sidewalks and streets made for a messy Thursday morning commute. The Chicago Department of Streets and Sanitation re-deployed 200 plows and salt trucks onto residential streets Thursday morning after snow fell overnight. Crews worked around the clock to first hit main streets and Lake Shore Drive when the bulk of the snow accumulated late Wednesday into early Thursday.
"Snow Command will continue to monitor all roadways and will deploy resources as conditions warrant," according to a statement from the department.
Drivers are encouraged to slow down and allow for extra time.
To view Chicago's snow fleet in real time, visit chicagoshovels.org.
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery 6 min ago
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 43 min ago
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night 39 min ago
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Minimum wage hike referendums on Tuesday's ballots 51 min ago
- Swimming pools upgrade project moving forward 33 min ago
- Blagojevich begins 3rd year in prison 19 min ago
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future 10 min ago
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years...
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
43 min ago