Chicago Weather: Dusting of snow coats roadways in city, suburbs
December 26, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A dusting of snow coated Chicago Thursday with the heaviest accumulation to the west and northwest.
"No major snow," ABC7 Meteorologist Mike Caplan said. "If you've got an inch or two on the ground, I think you can kiss it goodbye for a while."
A brief thaw is coming on Saturday, when temperatures could get into the upper 30s and low 40s. But it won't last long. By Sunday, cold will move back in and more snow will fall, but be over by the evening.
"All told, we're looking at snowfall for the next several days, through Monday, an inch or so," Caplan said. "No big snow storms are on the way."
The cold settles in Sunday into Monday.
"By Monday morning, single digits. And it won't get much warmer than that all Monday long. We'll be lucky to see double digits," Caplan said.
City hits residential streets
Across much of the area, sidewalks and streets made for a messy Thursday morning commute. The Chicago Department of Streets and Sanitation re-deployed 200 plows and salt trucks onto residential streets Thursday morning after snow fell overnight. Crews worked around the clock to first hit main streets and Lake Shore Drive when the bulk of the snow accumulated late Wednesday into early Thursday.
"Snow Command will continue to monitor all roadways and will deploy resources as conditions warrant," according to a statement from the department.
Drivers are encouraged to slow down and allow for extra time.
To view Chicago's snow fleet in real time, visit chicagoshovels.org.
- Police chase, standoff closes LSD at Fullerton 1 min ago
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- Daily Herald: Kid Loses Foot In Train Accident
- Photos: St. Patrick's Day in Chicago
- abcnews: Curious Case of L.A.'s Tattooed Ted Cruz...
- Standoff suspect may be man wanted in Ga....
8 min ago
- Police chase, standoff closes Lake Shore...
25 min ago
- Officer injured in LSD crash following...
35 min ago