Man charged in sex assault near Midway at CTA Orange Line train station
December 30, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- James Whiteside, 30, has been charged in the sexual assault and robbery of a 69-year-old woman outside the CTA's Orange Line train station at Midway Airport on the city's Southwest Side.
The victim was walking from the Midway train station to her car around 4:15 p.m. Friday when the suspect forced her into the vehicle, where he sexually assaulted her and took her money and cell phone. He then made the woman drive to various ATM locations to use her debit card to get cash.
Whiteside intially was due in court Monday to face several charges including aggravated criminal sexual assault for the attack Friday evening and in connection with another attack earlier that day. He was not able to appear Monday because he was hospitalized and was rescheduled to appear Tuesday.
Whiteside is also charged with sexually assaulting a 23-year-old earlier the same day.
In both cases, he forced the women to make ATM withdrawals.
Police issued a community alert after the attack.
Video surveillance may have helped police identify Whiteside.
chicago news, jason knowles
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store 2 min ago
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Video: Yelp reviews: Phony or Real?
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train 40 min ago
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- I-Team finds man wanted by Interpol in Chicago
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- Opening statements begin in general's sex trial
- Massachusetts bans 'upskirt' photos after ruling
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- ABC7 To Go: 3-7-14
52 min ago