TV reporter Chris Conte targeted on Twitter after Bears loss
December 31, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- On Sunday, it was a tough day to be Chris Conte. Both of them.
Chicago Bears safety Chris Conte was responsible for a play in which the Green Bay Packers' Randall Cobb got by to make the game-winning score at Soldier Field. That led to some not-so-good Twitter posts for Nashville reporter Chris Conte.
"Usually when the Bears don't do well, I get blown up because people think that I'm the other Chris Conte," the TV reporter said.
This time around, the tweets turned ugly.
"I realized pretty quickly that the Bears must have really lost because the messages I was getting were vulgar and vicious and over the top, much more than usual," Conte said. "They started out the usual 'Chris Conte you suck, Chris Conte you should be kicked off the Bears', and then they started going into, 'I will kill your baby.' 'I hope you die of AIDS' 'you should wrap your mouth around a tailpipe until you pass out.'" Conte decided to use his experience to talk to his television viewers about cyber bullying.
"I learned how teenagers and other people out there that are victims of this stuff really how much of a problem and how hurtful it can be," Conte said.
After his story, Chicago Bears fans tried to make things right.
"The messages I've been getting in the last 24 hours on Twitter have been more supportive, apologies from your fans, saying 'We're sorry,'" he said.
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge 29 min ago
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George 30 min ago
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 15 min ago
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- Chicago man killed in Salt Lake City stabbing
- Man ID'd after fatal crash on Ryan-Skyway ramp
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout 19 min ago
- Bulls fans ready for start of playoffs
28 min ago