Alyssa Meza, 9, helps mom deliver baby sister in Chicago home
January 1, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A young Chicago girl got a real life lesson this week. She was at home in Little Village when her mother started to go into labor, and the 9-year-old jumped into action.
"She said she felt the baby coming out and I told her to pushed the baby out and I'll catch the baby. She got scared. And I catched the baby, grabbed the towel and wrapped her around," said Alyssa Meza, 9.
Alyssa Meza says she had seen a medical TV show where a baby was born with an umbilical cord around its neck and she knew what to do.
"The umbilical cord was actually around the baby. It was like two around. So I had to unwrap it a little and I ran next door to grab my neighbor because the baby was a little purple," said Alyssa.
Alyssa's aunt arrived after the delivery, and after a neighbor called 911.
"The firefighters, they said 'Your niece delivered the baby.' I was like 'No, she didn't,'" said Samantha Meza, aunt.
Baby Aaliyah and her mom were released late Wednesday afternoon from the hospital.
Mom and baby are doing well, and what a story the family will have to tell Aaliyah about her birth and her big sister.
"I expected it from her, but not as much maturity that she has shown me, at her age, very mature. I know she has a bright future ahead of her and I am very, very proud of her," said Monique Meza, mother.
Alyssa says she wants to be a paramedic someday. It seems she has already had her first patients.
chicago news, leah hope
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 5 min ago
- Photos: Farm animals rescued in Kane County
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters 31 min ago
- Netflix subscribers targeted in phishing scam
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics 41 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos