Belmont-Cragin warehouse fire under control
January 3, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Chicago Fire Department responded to a blaze on the city's West Side Friday morning and spent more than an hour fighting the flames.
The warehouse fire, which began just after 9 a.m., engulfed a 300x400 building at 1945 N. Latrobe near Grand and Cicero. The fire was upgraded to a three-alarm response at 9:45 a.m. and was extinguished by 10:45.
Advanced On Site Concrete, Inc. employees at the single-story, L-shaped building dicovered the fire. The business's website reports it opens at 7 a.m. No injuries have been reported.
Metra had stopped trains that went through the fire area on Latrobe on the Milwaukee District West Line to Elgin. Service was restored when the fire was struck.
A furniture store owner down the street reported hearing an explosion and says a transformer was blown, leaving his business without electricity.
The fire department was told the building contains propane tanks, according to Fire Media. No other buildings were evacuated. Investigators will focus their efforts on the northwest side of the building, where it's believed the fire started.
Roughly 125 firefighters using more than 20 pieces of fire equipment had trouble gaining access to the warehouse, which was adjacent to a railroad line. The fire did take out a transformer, and water used to fight the fire froze -- clogging sewers and causing a water main break.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow 15 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island 7 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps 5 min ago
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos