Belmont-Cragin sex assault suspect charged in attack on girl, 15
January 5, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A 25-year-old Chicago man has been charged in a sexual assault and beating that left a 15-year-old girl fighting for her life.
Chicago police said Sunday that Luis Pantoja was charged with attempted first-degree murder and aggravated criminal sexual assault in the Belmont-Cragin attack last month.
The girl was found December 17 lying in a pool of blood in the back yard of a home. She was hospitalized in critical condition and was unable to communicate with police until two weeks later.
A resident told the Chicago Sun-Times he was going to sweep the snow from his rear walkway just after 8 a.m. that day and found the girl outside his back door. Blood was pooling in the snow around her head. Her pants had been yanked off. Her shoes were off her feet. She was all but unconscious, moving a little, but saying nothing.
Pantoja, who lives just blocks from the scene of the attack, was arrested on Friday "through the work of Chicago Police Detectives and the Great Lakes Fugitive Task Force," Chicago police said in a brief statement released on Sunday.
He appeared in Cook County criminal court briefly Sunday, but the bond hearing in his case was delayed until Tuesday. In the meantime, he was expected to be held in Cook County Jail without bail.
(The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.)
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop 10 min ago
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square 54 min ago
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan 34 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 26 min ago
- Armed robberies prompt alert in South Shore 9 min ago
- CPS student's murder remains unsolved 5 years later 8 min ago
- Ohio Turnpike crash kills 3; Victims ID'd 38 min ago
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
- Quinn makes 1st public event since controversial audit
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Gov. Chris Christie Fires Back at Heckler
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
26 min ago
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West...
10 min ago