Passengers stuck on Amtrak train 8 hours; Amtrak cancels some Chicago train service
January 6, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago-bound Amtrak passengers were stuck on a train for eight hours near Kalamazoo, Michigan.
The train finally arrived at Chicago's Union Station overnight. Amtrak officials say there was a problem with the train. The first attempt to pull the stranded train didn't work because of snow. A second train was able to pull the stranded train to Chicago.
"About every hour they told us another ½ hour until we get someone here who's going to fix this. And every plan they went through just fell through," passenger Celeste said.
"It was kind of like purgatory. We were sitting there in this intermittable, not quite hellish- because there was good company," passenger Ryan said.
Passengers arrived in Chicago 12 hours after leaving Detroit.
Amtrak is scaling back service on Monday to and from Chicago because of the weather conditions. According to a statement from Amtrak, the following trains are canceled:
- Lincoln Service Trains 300 and 305. Trains 301, 302, 303, 304, 306 & 307 and Trains 21/321 and 22/321 will maintain service on the Chicago-St. Louis corridor.
- Hiawatha Service Trains 329, 332, 333, 336, 337 and 340. Trains 330, 331, 334, 335, 338 and 339 will maintain service on the Chicago-Milwaukee corridor.- Wolverine Service Trains 352 and 353. Trains 350, 351, 354 and 355 will maintain service on the Chicago-Ann Arbor-Detroit-Pontiac corridor.- Carl Sandburg Trains 381 and 382. Trains 380 & 383 will maintain service on the Chicago-Quincy corridor.
- Saluki Trains 391 and 392. Trains 390 & 392 and Trains 58 & 59 will maintain service on the Chicago-Carbondale corridor.
- Grand Blue Line stop closed by water main break 14 min ago
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum 19 min ago
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime 3 min ago
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Gay marriage at center of 81st District GOP race
- Larkin High School poms squad honored 20 min ago
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Chicago glows green ahead of St. Patrick's Day 21 min ago
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- Some IL concealed carry applicants notified...
13 min ago