At least 4 snow shoveling deaths reported in Chicago, Will County
January 6, 2014 (WLS) -- Three southwest suburban men apparently suffered fatal heart attacks while shoveling snow over the weekend.
Dangerous Cold: How to prepare for winter storms, extreme cold | Winter driving tips | Health, safety tips | Protecting your pets | What you need in your car | What you need to do at home | Chicago Warming Centers
Will County Coroner Patrick K. O'Neil said all three men were shoveling before being found unresponsive.
A 57-year-old Bolingbrook man was pronounced dead Saturday at Adventist Bolingbrook Hospital.
A 62-year-old Joliet man and a 63-year-old Joliet man both died Sunday at Saint Joseph Medical Center, O'Neil said.
O'Neil said despite the extreme cold no hypothermia cases had been reported to the coroner's office as of 11 a.m. Monday.
A 48-year-old man also died while shoveling snow Sunday night in Chicago's West Side Humboldt Park neighborhood, police said.
The man was shoveling snow in the 1400 block of North Washtenaw Avenue about 10:20 p.m. and started having chest pains, police News Affairs Officer Janel Sedevic said.
He was pronounced dead on the scene by the fire department, Sedevic said. The man had suffered from heart-related issues in the past, Sedevic said. Police were unsure if the man lived on the block where he died. Area North detectives are investigating.
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire - Copyright Chicago Sun-Times 2013.)
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond 36 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Minimum wage hike referendums on Tuesday's ballots
- NU women's basketball team committed to autism awareness
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- Daily Herald: Kid Loses Foot In Train Accident
- abcnews: Curious Case of L.A.'s Tattooed Ted Cruz...