Priests asked not to distribute Cardinal George letter
January 9, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests wants Chicago priests not to read or distribute Francis Cardinal George's letter on the priest abuse scandal this weekend.
At a protest rally outside Holy Name Cathedral SNAP members and supporters called the cardinal's letter self-serving and hypocritical.
The cardinal has said he wants the letter to serve as part of increased transparency by the archdiocese.
"We believe that Cardinal George should open up those records and let everyone read them for themselves," said Barbara Blaine, SNAP.
The archdiocese says the list of priests with a substantiated allegation of abuse has been on their website for years.
- Boy, 12, killed in hit-and-run in Whiting
- Meeting addresses consequences of 'sexting'
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Grand jury indicts Lake Station mayor, wife
- Police release sketch in Albany Park attempted kidnapping
- Chicago boy remembered 1 year after suspicious death
- Lyons residents respond to police cuts
- Kirk introduces stroke research, treatment legislation
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault
- Tavern shutdown racially motivated, owner says
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- Hero officers save two boys from West Pullman fire
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos