Chicago Weather: Snow begins, strong winds expected
January 14, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- About 200 snow plows and salt spreaders have been deployed onto Chicago streets as a mixture of snow, rain and sleet was falling Tuesday across the area.
Temperatures were hovering around 32 degrees as of 1 p.m., so the precipitation is expected to begin as a mixture before turning to all snow, according to the National Weather Service.
No more than an inch of snow is expected to accumulate, though it will fall quickly over a short period of time, according to the weather service. Higher snow totals are expected north near the Wisconsin border.
As of noon, the Streets & Sanitation Department had deployed 200 plows onto the city's streets. Later this afternoon, winds are expected to gust over 40 mph and will blow the snow around, which could make the evening commute hazardous for drivers. Wednesday will be less wet, but colder, with a high of only 21 degrees. More snow is possible later this week, according to the weather service.
The back-and-forth weather patterns are creating pothole problems. IDOT crews said they were aware of a big pothole on a narrow ramp at the Circle Interchange. Cars were driving over it, as there isn't anywhere else for drivers to go. The potholes were reported on the ramp to the inbound Ryan to the outbound Eisenhower near Halsted. That led to major delays across the board.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap