Lauren Li body recovered from Chicago River; Survivor Quoc Viet Phan Hoang: 'I've never felt so helpless'
January 15, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The police marine unit has recovered the body of a missing woman in the Chicago River near the location where she and two men fell in early Monday morning.
PHOTOS: Chicago River rescue, recovery efforts
The Cook County Medical Examiner's office confirmed that the body recovered Wednesday afternoon is that of 21-year-old Lauren Li.
Family members say the three were on a road trip to New Jersey but stopped in Chicago for a short visit. The lone survivor told police one of the victims, Ken Hoang, was taking photos of the river when he dropped his cellphone on to the ice. He stepped down to grab it and fell in.
It was just after midnight Monday when the emergency call came in. Authorities say 26-year-old Ken Hoang jumped the fence by the Chicago River after dropping his cell phone, then fell in.
His cousin Quoc Viet Phan Hoang and his girlfriend, 21-year-old Lauren Li, jumped in to save him.
Friends say it was a testament to how close they were.
"I would have jumped in and tried the best that I can but I mean the lengths you would go for your friends," said Phu Cao, friend.
On Tuesday night, Phan Hoang was still recovering in the hospital. He released a statement Tuesday that said, in part: "I lost two good friends. It's not easy seeing your friends drift away and having one die in your arms. I have never felt so helpless in my life. Thank you for everyone's thoughts and prayers."
Phan Hoang also thanked the first responders and Luis Bertrand, a man he calls his hero after he called 911 for help.
Hoang was a graduate of the University of Minnesota and Li was senior studying biology in the honors program.
The medical examiner is working to identify the body found.
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash 48 min ago
- Officials probe potential threat on Delta flight
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 38 min ago
- Woman rescued from Lake Michigan near Jackson
- Chicago woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case 54 min ago
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Pilsen parishes join together for Good Friday procession
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake