Wicker Park burglar thwarted by 'push' door at The Shambles on Division
January 15, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A burglar dismantled a door lock while trying to break into a Wicker Park bar, but apparently didn't realize that if he'd just pushed the door instead of pulling, he would have gotten in.
It was all caught on surveillance video at The Shambles on West Division.
Owner Joe Lin says the thief had tools and was well-prepared, but something simple tripped him up.
"I don't know if he realized there was a security stick on there, because yeah, he did get confused, because he's like, 'I dismantled a lock, I should be able to get in. Why is this not working?'" said Lin.
Lin says there is a sign on the door that says "push." Apparently that's far too complicated for this guy. According to Lin, there was also an attempted break-in at a bar across the street.
Police are investigating a string of similar crimes.
- Mom allegedly kidnaps 2 sons from Beverly 22 min ago
- Truck driver released after boy dies in Ind. hit-and-run
- South Korea ferry sinks; 287 missing, at least 9 dead
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Waukegan couple's spat yields 16-officer response, 2 hurt 54 min ago
- Man stabbed in back on McKinley Park street
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1
- Bulls 1st round playoff schedule vs Wizards released
- 2 kids who died with dad in I-65 crash ID'd 38 min ago
- I-Team: New defendant added in 'El Chapo' case
- Barrington meeting addresses consequences of 'sexting'
- Beltran-Leyva gang leader arrested, Mexico says 16 min ago
- Growing Problem: Stolen Smart Phones
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos