Kevin Baker shot in possible cell phone robbery in Chicago Lawn
January 16, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Chicago college student was shot in what may have been a cell phone robbery in the Chicago Lawn neighborhood.
Kevin Baker is a freshman at Harold Washington College. He was shot in the Chicago Lawn neighborhood near 62nd and Campbell. He was rushed to Christ Hospital in Oak Lawn, where he is in critical condition Thursday night.
Baker's relatives say he's a role model in their family. They say he avoided trouble and problems on the streets because he wanted to focus on being a student at Harold Washington College. Baker's family says he pursued education because he wanted to be somebody, but now he's in the hospital after being shot, apparently for his cell phone.
"It is so sad for kids to have to go to school and walk home and to be robbed of your cell phone and even after you give it to somebody, you're still shot," said Arlene Allen, relative.
Relatives say Baker was with his cousin, Dominque Baker. Police say both handed over their cell phones. Kevin Baker's backpack is at the scene.
"Immediately, I just thought how sad it was, because I knew he was a shorty, a school kid," said Devon Bowen, resident.
Witnesses say the gunmen pulled up in a burgundy truck. Police say it was a van.
"They were asking about a phone, and they just shot him and drove off," said Yasmeen James, witness.
"It's sad. They are just killing everyone over everything," said Kendra Goodwin, resident.
Chicago police say robbery is the motive. But to the family, the motive doesn't make sense.
"Over a phone? Over a phone!" said Allen.
The family says that Baker is in surgery on Thursday night. His mother is at the hospital as well, he is her only child.
The investigation is ongoing, and police say no one has been arrested.
chicago news, stacey baca
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash 51 min ago
- Officials probe potential threat on Delta flight
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 41 min ago
- Woman rescued from Lake Michigan near Jackson
- Chicago woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case 57 min ago
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Pilsen parishes join together for Good Friday procession
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake