Sears on State Street in Chicago Loop to close
January 21, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Sears store on State Street in Chicago's Loop will close in April, according to the company.
A liquidation sale at the store, 2 N. State Street, begins on January 26.
Sears released a statement that read, in part: These decisions are never easy. But the store has lost millions of dollars since opening and we can no longer continue to support the store's operating losses.
About 160 people work at the Sears State Street store; most are part-time. According to a statement, some workers who qualify will get severance and the opportunity to apply for open jobs at other Sears or Kmart stores.
The company said the closing is part of a plan to adjust its business model.
The State Street Sears store opened in 2001.
- Beverly mom, children found safe in Wisconsin 1 min ago
- Photos released in Yellow Line attack
- Lake Station mayor, family plead not guilty to corruption charges
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Program Note: Jeopardy to air Late Night
- Truck driver released after boy dies in Ind. hit-and-run
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care 1 min ago
- Boy, 15, charged as adult in South Side shooting
- Waukegan couple's spat yields 16-officer response, 2 hurt
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child 49 min ago
- US decries anti-Semitic leaflets in Ukraine
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1
- Chicago Bulls launch 'SEE RED' playoff campaign
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship 8 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos