Dan Ryan semi crash blocks southbound lanes near 81st Street; Lanes reopen hours later
February 1, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- All lanes reopened around 4:30 p.m. Saturday, several hours after a rollover accident shut down the southbound Dan Ryan Expressway near 81st Street.
PHOTOS: Dan Ryan Rollover
The crash happened at about 5:30 a.m. and involved a semi-tanker and a car. Authorities were letting some cars pass by in a single lane by 10 a.m.
IDOT crews responded to the scene of the crash, one of many weather-related problems on the expressways Saturday.
Initially, police were diverting traffic off at 79th Street and allowing cars to re-enter south of 83rd Street. Authorities said it would be hours before southbound I-94 would reopen completely along that stretch.
Troopers and Chicago police officers were standing by all the exits and entrance ramps nearby.
Sources told Eyewitness News that the trucker was attempting to steer clear of a car that loss control and slammed into wall and that the driver of the car was cited by Illinois state police for driving too fast for conditions, but no ticket was issued to the trucker.
Authorities say, fortunately, no one was injured in the accident.
Traffic, however, was snarled for at least a mile as crews worked to try to remove the tanker. Authorities had to bring in another vehicle to offload the liquid inside that rolled over tanker before they could upright it.
Hazmat crews responded to the scene, as well.
Even northbound traffic slowed down near the scene of the accident as drivers gawked at the crash, an education that drivers should slow down and use extra caution when traveling out and about Saturday because of weather conditions.
chicago news, evelyn holmes
- Video: Chicago River dyed green for St. Patrick's Day 15 min ago
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force 6 min ago
- Disabled lawyer devoted to making world accessible
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Early voting for primary races ends Saturday
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Speed cams start issuing tickets in some areas
- CPD officer remembered as 'true blue knight'
- Kennedy Expressway reversible lanes closed Saturday
- 'Louder Than A Bomb' Poetry Slam 24 min ago
- Mercy Home For Boys & Girls 1 min ago
- Film offers glimpse of 1940s-era Chicago
- abcnews: Doctor Performs Illegal, Cut-Rate Butt... 36 min ago
- Chicago River dyed green for St. Patrick's...
15 min ago
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
6 min ago