Dan Ryan semi crash blocks southbound lanes near 81st Street; Lanes reopen hours later
February 1, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- All lanes reopened around 4:30 p.m. Saturday, several hours after a rollover accident shut down the southbound Dan Ryan Expressway near 81st Street.
PHOTOS: Dan Ryan Rollover
The crash happened at about 5:30 a.m. and involved a semi-tanker and a car. Authorities were letting some cars pass by in a single lane by 10 a.m.
IDOT crews responded to the scene of the crash, one of many weather-related problems on the expressways Saturday.
Initially, police were diverting traffic off at 79th Street and allowing cars to re-enter south of 83rd Street. Authorities said it would be hours before southbound I-94 would reopen completely along that stretch.
Troopers and Chicago police officers were standing by all the exits and entrance ramps nearby.
Sources told Eyewitness News that the trucker was attempting to steer clear of a car that loss control and slammed into wall and that the driver of the car was cited by Illinois state police for driving too fast for conditions, but no ticket was issued to the trucker.
Authorities say, fortunately, no one was injured in the accident.
Traffic, however, was snarled for at least a mile as crews worked to try to remove the tanker. Authorities had to bring in another vehicle to offload the liquid inside that rolled over tanker before they could upright it.
Hazmat crews responded to the scene, as well.
Even northbound traffic slowed down near the scene of the accident as drivers gawked at the crash, an education that drivers should slow down and use extra caution when traveling out and about Saturday because of weather conditions.
chicago news, evelyn holmes
- Van driver dies after CTA bus crash in Calumet Heights 1 min ago
- Chicago Bulls fall to Wizards 101-99 in OT 16 min ago
- 5 injured in Roseland bus stop accident
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Illinois mumps outbreak puts health officials on alert
- CFD rescues elderly man from Roseland house fire
- Carol Stream man found guilty of child sex abuse
- Missing Aurora teen mom, baby girl found safe
- Pitbull added to Illinois State Fair lineup
- Car crashes into Richton Park currency exchange
- CTA suing taggers, parents for graffiti cleanup
- Bicyclist struck, killed in Roselle identified 11 min ago
- Blue Angels to return for Air and Water Show
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos