Logan Square crash sends cars into building at Fullerton and Kimball; 1 dead, 7 critical
February 3, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- One person was killed and seven others were injured when two-cars crashed into a Logan Square building at Fullerton and Kimball on the city's Northwest Side.
A beige Mazda Protégé and a white four-door Buick collided, jumped the curb and hit the corner building around 5:30 a.m. Monday. Eight people - all adults- were inside the cars. Three of them had to be extricated. The fatality was identified as Omar Daville, 27, of Chicago.
Geremiah Perez, 37, was on his way to work at a taxi company when the crash happened, according to his wife, Diana.
"I just heard the noise and I looked out the window and saw the cops out here on the corner," Johnson Silva, who lives nearby, said.
Dora Lopez owns the Mazda involved in the crash. She said she discovered it was gone when she tried to go to the Laundromat. She believes it was stolen.
No one was waiting at nearby CTA bus stops.
"There's a lot of young kids and students who use those buses to get to work. So, I mean, like I said, it could have been way worse, and it's such a busy intersection," said area resident Alex Fernandez.
Chicago police are investigating, and the scene was clear around 10 a.m.
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- Armed robberies prompt alert in South Shore
- CPS student's murder remains unsolved 5 years later
- Ohio Turnpike crash kills 3; Victims ID'd
- Quinn makes 1st public event since controversial audit
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Cracked Dam Leads to Human Remains