Logan Square crash sends cars into building at Fullerton and Kimball; 1 dead, 7 critical
February 3, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- One person was killed and seven others were injured when two-cars crashed into a Logan Square building at Fullerton and Kimball on the city's Northwest Side.
A beige Mazda Protégé and a white four-door Buick collided, jumped the curb and hit the corner building around 5:30 a.m. Monday. Eight people - all adults- were inside the cars. Three of them had to be extricated. The fatality was identified as Omar Daville, 27, of Chicago.
Geremiah Perez, 37, was on his way to work at a taxi company when the crash happened, according to his wife, Diana.
"I just heard the noise and I looked out the window and saw the cops out here on the corner," Johnson Silva, who lives nearby, said.
Dora Lopez owns the Mazda involved in the crash. She said she discovered it was gone when she tried to go to the Laundromat. She believes it was stolen.
No one was waiting at nearby CTA bus stops.
"There's a lot of young kids and students who use those buses to get to work. So, I mean, like I said, it could have been way worse, and it's such a busy intersection," said area resident Alex Fernandez.
Chicago police are investigating, and the scene was clear around 10 a.m.
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say 10 min ago
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox 48 min ago
- Chicago typhoon relief shipments reach the Philippines 18 min ago
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects to remain jailed
- Teen accused in Chicago livery driver shooting death
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute