Man shot dead at Jefferson Park Walgreens
February 3, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- An off-duty police officer fatally shot an armed man in his 50s who was attempting to rob a Walgreens store Monday in the Jefferson Park neighborhood on the Northwest Side, police said.
About 10:30 a.m., the suspect entered the Walgreens in the 5200 block of North Milwaukee Avenue and announced a robbery, according to a statement from Chicago police.
The officer had observed a "frantic" cashier stuffing money into a bag, Fraternal Order of Police spokesman Pat Camden said. The officer's wife and kids were waiting in a car in the parking lot. Camden said the officer ordered the man, estimated at around 400 lbs., to kneel on the ground. After doing so, Camden said, the suspect told the officer he would not be taken into custody willingly, and the officer would have to shoot him. Camden said the suspect then reached for a gun in his pocket, and the officer shot him.
The suspect was taken in serious-to-critical condition to Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge, where he was pronounced dead hours later. No one else was injured.
The robber's weapon was recovered at the scene, and charges were pending Monday afternoon, police said.
Police suspect the robber may be responsible for several similar armed robberies that have occured recently in the area, Camden said.
The Independent Police Review Authority is investigating the shooting.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- Grand Blue Line stop closed by water main break 2 min ago
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum 30 min ago
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime 14 min ago
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Gay marriage at center of 81st District GOP race
- Larkin High School poms squad honored 31 min ago
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Chicago glows green ahead of St. Patrick's Day 32 min ago
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- Some IL concealed carry applicants notified...
24 min ago