2014 Chicago Auto Show: Roz Varon's sneak preview
February 5, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Chicago Auto Show opens this Saturday at McCormick Place with thousands of new cars and trucks on display. Eyewitness News Traffic Anchor Roz Varon got a chance to test drive several production and concept cars ahead of the show's opening.
It's a sneak preview of some of the most innovative, fuel-efficient and high-tech vehicles you'll see at this year's auto show. At Ford, it's all about fuel economy. The C-Max solar energy concept car uses 300 watt solar panels on the roof.
"It basically is a way for the vehicle to be totally recharged, the battery in it, to be recharged without having to plug in to the grid," said Dave McCreadie, Ford.
For fuel economy without sacrificing power, there's the 2014 Ford Fiesta Eco-Boost, which brags 45 highway MPG.
Kia's made-in-the-USA Optima Hybrid has been redesigned for 2014. It's more aerodynamic for even better mileage.
The Mazda 3 has more technology in it than my entire household full of computers. It's all about connectivity. The new heads up cockpit concept features a pop-up active driving display, and the Mazda Connect in-car communication system uses touch screen, voice activation, Bluetooth and USB.
The buzz at Chrysler is around the 2015 200 luxury mid-size sedan, available later this year. Dodge is celebrating 100 years. Check out this sleek Viper in striker green if you want power. It's the 50th anniversary of the Hemi engine, there's a lot of power under the hood in this Dodge Challenger!
chicago news, roz varon
- 4 children injured in S. Side drive-by shooting
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from inspirational teen
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout