Valve breaks on North Center water main, shuts down part of Damen between Montrose, Berteau
February 12, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A valve on a North Side water main broke, flooding part of Damen Avenue in the North Center neighborhood Wednesday evening.
Later Wednesday night, Damen was a slushy mess as crews continued to work on the problem, which the water department describes as a broken water valve basin connected to the water main.
Residents just call it a mess. The problem started around 3 p.m. Wednesday afternoon, with the flooding shutting down a stretch of Damen.
Residents in about a five block area have been without water since then. The area affected is bordered by Montrose to the north, Damen to the east, Berteau to the south, and Lincoln to the west.
Crews hope to have everything repaired and water restored in the next two or three hours. The official cause of all this still undetermined, though weather is obviously something to consider.
chicago news, eric horng
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- 2 hurt in Edgewater crash
- Near-death experience inspires businessman
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 6 shot at Austin party
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Ford Motor leader William Clay Ford dead
- Medical marijuana law poses workplace dilemma
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Illinois halts plan to require ATV permits
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Video: Newsviews - Tom Cross
- Video: Newsviews - Bob Grogan
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos