Teen fatally shot in head on South Side near 61st, Vernon
February 12, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A teenager was fatally shot in the head in Chicago's West Woodlawn neighborhood Wednesday night.
It happened just after 8 p.m. Wednesday night in the 6100-block of South Vernon.
Police believe the victim is between 14-16 years old. They believe the victim is also a gang member.
One pastor came to the scene to see if there was any way he could help.
"It's just time for us to all get active and stop this. We gotta do something," said Pastor Jedidiah Brown, Chosen Generation Church. "I live in this area, I would like to continue to live in this area and raise children in this area. If we don't address the violence, then it won't be a good place to live."
Investigators remain on the scene. Police have not yet released the identity of the victim.
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute 4 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 36 min ago
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death 12 min ago
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines under way 30 min ago
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as alderman 29 min ago
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
36 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute
4 min ago