Teen, 14, fatally shot in head in Woodlawn on South Side near 61st, Vernon
February 13, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police are searching for suspects after a 14-year-old boy was fatally shot in the head in Chicago's West Woodlawn neighborhood near 61st and Vernon.
The 14-year-old boy was walking with two other people when gunfire erupted around 8 p.m. Wednesday night in the 6100-block of South Vernon.
Police believe the shooting was gang-related.
One pastor came to the scene to see if there was any way he could help.
"It's just time for us to all get active and stop this. We gotta do something," said Pastor Jedidiah Brown, Chosen Generation Church. "I live in this area, I would like to continue to live in this area and raise children in this area. If we don't address the violence, then it won't be a good place to live."
Investigators remain on the scene. Police have not yet released the identity of the victim. No one is in custody as of Thursday morning.
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox 4 min ago
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects to remain jailed 27 min ago
- Teen accused in Chicago livery driver shooting death
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Earthquake in California centered in Eureka
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- ABC7 To Go 3-10-14
21 min ago