Murder charge for man after toddler who suffered burns dies; Vernon Henry, 26, arrested in connection with 20-month-old boy's death
February 15, 2014 (CHICAGO) -- A West Englewood man has been charged in the murder of a 20-month-old boy who died Saturday after suffering multiple burns in the South Shore neighborhood Thursday evening.
Vernon Henry, 26, of the 6600 block of South Paulina Street, was arrested and charged with first-degree murder in connection to an incident that resulted in a 20-month-old boy being taken to University of Chicago Comer Children's Hospital in critical condition, according to a release from police News Affairs.
The incident occurred about 7:45 p.m. in the 6900 block of South Cornell Avenue, police said.
The baby suffered burns and trauma to the head, face and chest, police said. Henry was charged after a police investigation revealed he was responsible for the child's injuries, according to the release.
Police could not immediately provide further details about how the boy was injured.
The boy was pronounced dead at Comer Children's Hospital at 4:38 p.m. Saturday, the Cook County Medical Examiner's office said. An autopsy is scheduled for Sunday to determine the cause and manner of his death.
As of Friday morning, the state Department of Child and Family Services was investigating the boy's mother for allegations of neglect, spokeswoman Veronica Resa said.
The agency has had no prior reports regarding the family, and there are no other children in the home, she said.
Henry is scheduled to appear in bond court Sunday, police said.
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire - Copyright Chicago Sun-Times 2014.)
- Snow blankets city, suburbs after March storm 27 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- $2M bond for man accused of shooting 6 at party
- SUV with child stolen in Colorado, I-25 chase
- Bears terminate Julius Peppers contract
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary
- ABC7 to Go, March 12, 2014
45 min ago
- Snow blankets city, suburbs after March storm
27 min ago