Chicago Weather: Snow expected on Monday
February 17, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The National Weather Service has issued winter weather advisory in effect until 6 p.m. Monday. Snowfall of 3-6 inches is expected with isolated higher amounts possible.
Snow should began early Monday morning and taper during the early evening hours. This storm may bring periods of heavy snow and snowfall rates reaching an inch or more per hour.
"This is going to be a very interesting system," said ABC7 Eyewitness News meteorologist Phil Schwarz. "When it does snow, especially during the midday period, it could snow rather heavily, perhaps at a rate of greater than an inch an hour."
The snow could also mix with sleet and freezing rain during the morning hours, in the southern areas of Chicago.
Travel through O'Hare and Midway airport is expected to be significantly impacted on Monday.
Precipitation should taper off by early Monday evening before temperatures climb above freezing. Tuesday's forecasted high is 40, followed by 38 on Wednesday, a relative heat wave in the middle of one of Chicago's coldest winters on record.
The warmth could bring new problems, though, with a rapid snow melt possibly leading to flooding.
The current snow pack on the ground in most of northern Illinois is equal to between 1 and 4 inches of water if it melts completely, according to the weather service.
Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this story.
- Video: Chicago River dyed green for St. Patrick's Day 50 min ago
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force 41 min ago
- Disabled lawyer devoted to making world accessible
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Early voting for primary races ends Saturday
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Speed cams start issuing tickets in some areas
- CPD officer remembered as 'true blue knight'
- Kennedy Expressway reversible lanes closed Saturday
- 'Louder Than A Bomb' Poetry Slam 59 min ago
- Mercy Home For Boys & Girls 35 min ago
- Film offers glimpse of 1940s-era Chicago
- abcnews: Doctor Performs Illegal, Cut-Rate Butt...
- Chicago River dyed green for St. Patrick's...
50 min ago
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
41 min ago