Chicago Weather: Snow expected on Monday
February 17, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The National Weather Service has issued winter weather advisory in effect until 6 p.m. Monday. Snowfall of 3-6 inches is expected with isolated higher amounts possible.
Snow should began early Monday morning and taper during the early evening hours. This storm may bring periods of heavy snow and snowfall rates reaching an inch or more per hour.
"This is going to be a very interesting system," said ABC7 Eyewitness News meteorologist Phil Schwarz. "When it does snow, especially during the midday period, it could snow rather heavily, perhaps at a rate of greater than an inch an hour."
The snow could also mix with sleet and freezing rain during the morning hours, in the southern areas of Chicago.
Travel through O'Hare and Midway airport is expected to be significantly impacted on Monday.
Precipitation should taper off by early Monday evening before temperatures climb above freezing. Tuesday's forecasted high is 40, followed by 38 on Wednesday, a relative heat wave in the middle of one of Chicago's coldest winters on record.
The warmth could bring new problems, though, with a rapid snow melt possibly leading to flooding.
The current snow pack on the ground in most of northern Illinois is equal to between 1 and 4 inches of water if it melts completely, according to the weather service.
Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this story.
- Park Manor drive-by injures 5 children 50 min ago
- Man in custody in fatal hit-and-run on West Side, police say 36 min ago
- Boston Marathon 2014 winners cross finish line 37 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago shootings: 9 dead, 35 hurt since Friday night
- Man charged in fatal Dan Ryan crash 42 min ago
- 2 officers hurt in Calumet Heights rollover crash
- Teen OK after riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet 7 min ago
- Families' hopes for ferry victims painfully humble 44 min ago
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from Ondelee Perteet
- Florida sinkhole threatens 2 Orlando-area homes
- Rubin Carter dead at 76; boxer 'Hurricane' exonerated in triple...
- Kevin Sharp dead at 43; country singer battled cancer young
- abcnews: Kentucky Inmate Starves to Death 12 min ago
- 7 in :77