Alert issued after attempted luring on North Side; 2 men try to kidnap 15-year-old girl near Swedish Covenant Hospital
February 16, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- An alert was issued from Chicago Police after two men tried to kidnap a 15-year-old girl Saturday evening near the border of several North Side neighborhoods.
Police say the teenaged girl was walking in the 2900 block of Foster, near Swedish Covenant Hospital, when she was approached by two men. She then ran to safety.
A worker tells ABC7 Eyewitness News the girl ran inside the Galter Life Center. When they asked if she was okay, the girl said yes and left.
Police said the attempted kidnapping happened on Saturday around 5:40 p.m.
Two men, in their mid-20s to mid-30s allegedly tried to engage her in conversation, trying to lure her into their car.
Neighbors say although the area is pretty safe, they have to always keep an eye out.
"I live in the area but I also work out here and I come here four or five times a week, usually between 5 or 6 o'clock, so it's kind of really scary to me, actually ,because I walk by myself and go to my car by myself," said resident Teresa Bothur.
Police say the offenders were seen in small older model white four-door car.
They advise residents to report any suspicious activity and walk in groups and make sure children are also with others.
"I think we all just have to be on the lookout for people that might not belong in your neighborhood and look out for each other, that's about all you can do," resident Joyce Lynn Merchant said.
Police say the suspects are still on the loose.
chicago news, diane pathieu
- Extra-alarm blaze struck in Irving Park
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing 50 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects face detention hearing
- Teen accused in Chicago livery driver shooting death
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Earthquake in California centered in Eureka
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- 7 in :77