Alert issued after attempted luring on North Side; 2 men try to kidnap 15-year-old girl near Swedish Covenant Hospital
February 16, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- An alert was issued from Chicago Police after two men tried to kidnap a 15-year-old girl Saturday evening near the border of several North Side neighborhoods.
Police say the teenaged girl was walking in the 2900 block of Foster, near Swedish Covenant Hospital, when she was approached by two men. She then ran to safety.
A worker tells ABC7 Eyewitness News the girl ran inside the Galter Life Center. When they asked if she was okay, the girl said yes and left.
Police said the attempted kidnapping happened on Saturday around 5:40 p.m.
Two men, in their mid-20s to mid-30s allegedly tried to engage her in conversation, trying to lure her into their car.
Neighbors say although the area is pretty safe, they have to always keep an eye out.
"I live in the area but I also work out here and I come here four or five times a week, usually between 5 or 6 o'clock, so it's kind of really scary to me, actually ,because I walk by myself and go to my car by myself," said resident Teresa Bothur.
Police say the offenders were seen in small older model white four-door car.
They advise residents to report any suspicious activity and walk in groups and make sure children are also with others.
"I think we all just have to be on the lookout for people that might not belong in your neighborhood and look out for each other, that's about all you can do," resident Joyce Lynn Merchant said.
Police say the suspects are still on the loose.
chicago news, diane pathieu
- 5 injured after truck crashes into grocery store 45 min ago
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd 6 min ago
- City: Kup statue not stolen, out for repairs 49 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Western closed St. Paul to Mofftt over weekend 9 min ago
- Pilsen parishes join together for Good Friday procession 37 min ago
- Mumps reports spike across Illinois
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- Photos: 13-pound baby boy born in Philly suburb
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake 7 min ago