3 shot in police pursuit on Dan Ryan Expressway
February 18, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Three alleged offenders were wounded during a police-involved shooting and pursuit on the Dan Ryan Expressway, officials said.
No officers were injured, officials said, after shots were fired at police officers at Ferdinand and Hamlin on the city's West Side around 11 a.m. Tuesday. Police pursued the car onto the Dan Ryan, and the alleged offenders were taken into custody after exiting at 35th and Wentworth on the South Side, officials said.
Two southbound lanes of the Dan Ryan remain closed between 31st and 35th, and the ramp to 35th is closed, according to Illinois State Police. The closures are expected to last through the afternoon.
According to the Chicago Fraternal Order of Police spokesman, the West Side would be one of three locations where shots were fired.
"To make a long story short, a car from the Area Central Saturation Team is paralleling the bad guy along Madison," said Pat Camden, FOP spokesman.
Police pursued a vehicle with three people inside from the West Side scene onto the Eisenhower then onto the Dan Ryan, where police fired say they fired into the car.
"The passenger in the rear seat at about 28th Street now points a gun at the officers that are pursuing him. They're right next to the car. It's a semi-automatic 9mm with an extended clip. At that point, the officers in the car fire at the offenders' car," said Camden.
The vehicle crashed coming off the Dan Ryan at 35th where a suspect allegedly raised a weapon and police opened fired on the vehicle again.
Jalissa Brown said she fears her boyfriend may have been one of the injured suspects.
"I just got a call saying that the police shot them. I just want to know if he's OK. It's crazy. This is the second person from my neighborhood [who has] been shot by the police," Brown said.
One of the suspects was treated and released into custody. One was in surgery Tuesday night.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- Extra-alarm blaze struck in Irving Park 27 min ago
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released 28 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing 8 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Sheriff Dart facing opposition from own party
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Mobile payment option for metered parking
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- California earthquake centered in Eureka measures 6.9 magnitude
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
- 7 in :77
21 min ago
- Extra-alarm blaze struck in Irving Park
27 min ago
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment...
28 min ago