Police shooting: Man shot after pulling gun on off-duty officer, officials say
February 23, 2014 (CHICAGO) -- An off-duty Chicago Police officer shot and wounded a person outside a Northwest Side restaurant in the Hermosa neighborhood Saturday night.
The off-duty officer was at a restaurant with his family around 9:30 p.m. Saturday in the 4300-block of West Fullerton Avenue when he saw two males inside "causing a disturbance," Fraternal Order of Police spokesman Pat Camden said.
The officer announced he was a policeman and escorted the males out of the restaurant, a statement from police News Affairs said.
Police said one of the males went to his vehicle, got a handgun and pointed it at the officer. Camden said the two were waiting outside the restaurant for the officer, one armed with a knife, the other with a gun.
The officer fired his weapon three times, striking one of the males in the leg, Camden said.
While both males took off in their vehicle, the officer was able to give a description of the two to responding officers, Camden said. They were taken into custody a short distance away, police said.
The male who was shot in the leg was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center where he is expected to be treated and released, Camden said. The other male was not injured.
Camden said officers were still searching the vehicle, but a gun had not yet been recovered as of midnight.
Area North detectives, along with the Independent Police Review Authority, which investigates all officer-related shootings, are investigating.
© Copyright 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 1 dead in fire at Woodstock residence
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- 'Shady Bandit' suspected in North Side bank robbery
- Chicago Tribune endorses Bruce Rauner in GOP primary
- College student found dead on Bannockburn campus
- Naperville man attempting to run 56 miles in 56 hours
- Kustok's daughter not called to stand as defense begins
- Jewel-Osco buys 5 former Dominick's stores
- Elmhurst Armpit Orchestra in St. Patrick's Day parade
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant