Man allegedly on cocaine during fatal Dan Ryan dump truck crash
February 24, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Bond was set at $1 million Saturday for a man charged with driving under the influence of cocaine in connection with a Dan Ryan crash that killed a dump truck driver in November.
Ralph A. Leon, 59, was charged with aggravated DUI causing a fatal accident, involuntary manslaughter and reckless homicide for the crash in the northbound lanes of the Dan Ryan Expressway (I-94) Nov. 1, prosecutors said at a bond hearing Saturday.
Leon, of the 5400 block of North Sheridan Road, was speeding in a 2004 Mazda 6 near 91st Street about 2 p.m. when he crashed into a car, causing it to swerve, prosecutors said.
He then went over four lanes of traffic and crashed the Mazda into a dump truck being driven by 56-year-old Alfredo Valladares, prosecutors said. Valladares was ejected from the truck and suffered lacerations and multiple fractures.
Valladares, of the 5500 block of South Fairfield Avenue, was dead at the scene, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's office.
Police at the scene of the crash said Leon looked "very high," and he was taken to Mercy Hospital and Medical Center for a DUI test, which detected cocaine in his system, prosecutors said.
Leon was convicted of attempted burglary in 1973 and has seven misdemeanors on his record, including a 1993 DUI conviction, prosecutors said.
Cook County Judge Adam Bourgeois, Jr., ordered Leon held in lieu of $1 million bond Saturday at the Cook County Criminal Courthouse.
Leon's next court date is scheduled for Feb. 25 in Markham.
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire - Copyright Chicago Sun-Times 2014.)
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos